Subscribe to updates from Monash Investors
ABOUT THE MONASH ABSOLUTE RETURN COMPANY – ASX CODE MA1
Monash Absolute Investment Company Limited (“the Company”) possesses a diversified portfolio of predominantly Australian securities (listed and some Pre-IPO securities), with an Absolute Return style of investing and a focus on capital preservation. The Investment Portfolio is managed by Monash Investors Pty Limited, an experienced specialist Australian equity investment manager.
The Company is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, Code MA1.
The Company’s objective is to achieve a targeted positive return over a market cycle (typically 5 to 7 years) while having a focus on capital preservation over the medium term.
The Company employs an investment approach which is high conviction, benchmark unaware, security size agnostic, investment style (i.e. growth, value, discounted cash flow) agnostic and has a capital preservation focus.
Monash Investors believes that most equity securities are fairly priced most of the time, but some will be significantly mispriced and will work to identify and exploit situations where it perceives significant mispricing. Monash Investors believes there are many potential causes of mispricing that arise from recurring situations or patterns of behaviour and seeks to identify these to help inform its search for investment opportunities.
Monash Investors is focused on identifying securities that meet one or more of the following characteristics:
- Insight: securities that the Investment Manager considers to be underestimated or misunderstood in some way by the market;
- Growth: securities with high growth in revenue, cash flow or earnings per share forecast by the Investment Manager;
- Value: securities that represent a high expected pay-off to a target price calculated by the Investment Manager; and
- Event: securities that the Investment Manager has identified a near term event or catalyst that it believes should drive a share price reaction.
Key Features of the Investment Strategy
- Portfolio with a small cap bias compared to a market capitalisation based index, such as the S&P/ASX 300 Index;
- exposure to short selling opportunities;
- construction of a Portfolio with exposure to Pre-IPO securities; and
- seeking to maintain a more consistent return profile than the market, with lower volatility and lower Beta